Libraries Online, Inc.
Associate Director’s Annual Report 2015
Bookended by the addition of two libraries, the past year presented several new challenges and opportunities. We successfully added the East Haddam Free Public Library in January 2015 and are currently on track to add Middlefield’s Levi Coe Library in January 2016. Both libraries had been using the Verso system and are of a similar size. Implementation at East Haddam went very smoothly and I anticipate a similar outcome with Levi Coe. LION presently faces the challenges of how to keep the libraries’ staff up to date with Sierra functions and overall LION policies. Confusion stemming from the differences among the libraries regarding holds policies, fines, circulation periods, etc., has become more pronounced as lending between the libraries continues to grow. I welcome the opportunity to take part in a task force created to examine these issues. Regular meetings of the LION Bibliographic and Circulation Committees continue to be effective vehicles for reinforcing LION policies. Staff turnover has increased in the libraries, however, and the LION model of “train the trainer” implemented with the new system back in 2006 has become less effective. I have seen an increased call for individual training in the past year and have increased my visits to member libraries to teach the basics of Sierra.
The current state of the LION database (as of 12/4/15) with last year’s numbers in parentheses:
• Bibliographic records: 836,328 (842,422)
• Item records: 2,617,126 (2,627,730)
• Authority records: 681,924 (665,133)
• Order records: 173,364 (196,777)
• Patron records: 441,392 (430,398)
Projects accomplished, conferences attended, and other activities 2015:
• East Haddam Free Public Library migration from Verso stand alone to Sierra (Jan 2015)
• Middlefield/Levi Coe Library migration from Verso stand alone to Sierra (in progress)
• Scheduled and monitored Sierra system upgrades as needed, currently on v. 1.2.2_6
• Attended Innovative User’s Group Meeting, Minneapolis (Apr 2015)
• CT Consortia and North East Consortia meetings
• LION Board, Circ, Bib Committee meetings
• Individual LION library training and consultation for create lists, loan rule adjustments, etc.
• Increased training in and understanding of SQL queries has provided better opportunity to identify and delete duplicate records
Associate Director, Libraries Online