Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
June 18, 1997
Present: President Anne G. Calvert, Susan Donovan, Lydia L. Main, Helene Tieger, Karen Smith, Valerie Harrod, Marcia Trotta, Marie Shaw, Nancy Wardell, Jan Day, Linda Rusczek, Elsie Jenkins, Leslie Scherer, Marcia Lewis, Gennett Grinnell, Marlene Palmquist, Ann Penfield, Ann Davis, Ed Murray, Sandy Long, Mark Hewes, Anne McFarland, Arthur S. Meyers, Bill Edge, Gale Bradbury, Sandy Ruoff. Guests: Rob McGee, Lewis Daniels.
Absent: MTC, MOC/TVY.
I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order at 8:40 a.m., at the Guilford Free Library, Guilford, CT. President Anne Calvert thanked the Guilford Free Library staff for hosting the June Board meeting. She also congratulated Marlene Palmquist on the opening of the recently renovated Branford Library. She welcomed Lewis Daniels from Westbrook Library and Rob McGee from RMG consulting.
II. ADDITIONS: None.
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
1. Susan Donovan moved and Lydia Main seconded a motion toapprove the May 20, 1997
minutes. The motion carried.
V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Bill reported on the May 31,1997 Treasurer's Report. It was a straightforward month. Income was up due to nearing the end of a quarter. Consulting under Capital Expenses was for Rob McGee. There was a consensus to receive the report.
VI. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
1. FY 98 Budget: Bill Edge handed out a summary and detailed budget for FY 98. The unit costs continue to decrease due to LION growth. Bill discussed the changes in LION staffing. The cataloging clerk hours will be used to enhance the office manager/cataloging clerk. LION is not reducing cataloging services but the retrocon project officially comes to an end June 30 and the hours are no longer needed. The bookkeeping function will be taken over by the office manager/cataloging clerk. The telecom network shows a 30% reduction due to some libraries switching to frame relay eliminating the need for their direct connections. The capital projections are based on equipment needs. Karen Smith moved and Elsie Jenkins seconded a motion to approve the FY 98 budget. The motion carried.
2. Joint Project Memorandum of Agreement: Bill Edge handed out a Joint Project Memorandum of Agreement which comes as a recommendation from the Joint Project Review Group for LION to act on. Bill also handed out comments from various discussion groups who met June 13th to discuss the issue of merging consortium. Leslie Scherer moved and Ed Murray seconded a motion to adopt the Joint Project Memorandum of Agreement dated June 13, 1997.
Lydia Main moved to take a recess at 9:05 to discuss the recommendations of Rob McGee.
The meeting reconvened at 2:35 to discuss the Joint Project Memorandum of Agreement. Bill Edge reviewed the assumptions, goals, recommendations and other issues set forth in the document. Leslie Scherer read a letter from Bill Deakyne, Director of East Lyme Public Library, stating his satisfaction with the current Dynix system and his inability to pay for more services. The motion carried unanimously.
3. Bill Edge's annual evaluation: The Personnel Committee is still working on Bill's evaluation and currently has a draft drawn up. Anne Calvert asked if the Personnel Committee could act on behalf of the Board in finalizing Bill's evaluation. Marcia Trotta moved and Elsie Jenkins seconded a motion to have the Personnel Committee act on behalf of the Board to finalize Bill Edge's evaluation. The motion carried.
4. Salary Ranges for LION staff: The Personnel Committee recommends that the salary ranges for LION staff be reevaluated. They have not been revised since 1993. There was a consensus for the Personnel Committee to review the salary ranges and make a recommendation at the next Board meeting.
1. LION Staff Reports:
a. Mark Hewes handed out his report along with minutes of the last Bib. and Circ. Committee meetings.
b. Joe Fromme handed out his last report as a LION staff member. He was wished well in his new career.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None.
IX. NEW BUSINESS: Rob McGee asked Bill and Leslie to restate the goals for Friday's meeting. Bill asked to discuss integration issues and implementation issues. How will LION be affected by the Joint Project. There was a consensus that the LION Review group will no longer need to meet because the Joint Project Group will take over. LION will still have its Planning Committee to discuss fees and other issues. Bill asked about having Rob McGee continue to help with phase II of the project. Leslie felt LION should give their view but the final decision should be made by the Joint Project Review Group. There was a consensus to have LION recommend that we use a consultant for Phase II and that it should be Rob McGee.
1. Next meeting: July 22, 1997 – 9:30 a.m. at the Russell Library in Middletown.
2. Refreshments: Mashantucket Pequot Research Library.
3. A motion was made by Ann Penfield to adjourn at 3:50 p.m. The motion carried.
Gale F. Bradbury, Secretary