Board Minutes 1999 02

Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
February 23, 1999

Present: Ed Murray, Marlene Palmquist, Valerie Harrod, Betty Page, Linda Rusczek, Gale Bradbury, Sandy Long, Karen Smith, Howard Einsohn, Leslie Scherer, Lew Daniels, Liz Creighton, Sandy Ruoff, Marie Shaw, Elsie Jenkins, Anne Clement, Ann Montgomery Smith, PCL, Marcia Lewis, Nancy Wardell, Bill Edge, Mark Hewes, Rick Widlansky. Absent: EHP, ELY, MOC/TVY, MTC.

I. CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Vice President Sandy Ruoff at the Russell Library, Middletown, CT at 9:35 AM.



IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes of January 26, 1999 should be corrected to note that Linda Rusczek, MDT was present. Elsie Jenkins moved and Leslie Scherer seconded a motion that the minutes be approved as corrected. All voted in favor.

V. TREASURER’S REPORT: The Treasurer’s Report as of January 31, 1999 had been e-mailed, along with comments on unusual items which were Telephone-Network, Maintenance-Hardware/Software, Consulting (audit fee), Consulting (Capital)-PCL cost, and New Equipment, which included frame relay upgrades. It was noted that $107,200 was in Accounts Receivable as of 2/18/99. It was the consensus to accept the report.


1. Status of Partnership of CT Libraries:

a. Ann Montgomery Smith reported that Mary Palomba, Enfield PL, had been elected to fill the remainder of Ann’s term on the Board ending September 2000; Lynn Rosato will serve the remainder of Ann’s term as President and Laurel Goodgion will serve the remainder of Lynn’s term as Vice President. The final "due diligence" report will be presented at the March meeting. It was discovered that the 501(c)(3) filing had not been completed and Ann will pursue this. Telecom Committee issued a very complete RFP, with information that can also be used for USF. SNET is still a player but has no proposal other than data lines at the normal rates. AT&T proposed something for every item but not in enough detail to assess. More information is being developed. If any vendor calls a PCL member library for discussion/proposal, etc., they should be referred back to PCL. Hopefully a contract can be signed by April to meet the USF deadline. Each network as well as PCL will file for USF. The Procurement Committee met after representatives met with vendors at ALA and Amy Terlaga has issued a report noting trends observed. Amy’s report concluded that no vendor could be recommended at this time and that PCL should wait. Ann has talked to 3 consultants and they feel we should proceed with the RFP for a consultant. 3 proposals from consultants have been received. The Planning Committee has developed an outline of activities and responsibilities for the various committees. Personnel is developing a handbook. Procurement at this time is focusing on 2 scenarios: (1) obtaining a proposal from CARL for a merged legacy ILS for all 3 networks; (2) exploring a "virtual catalog" solution to link CARL and Ameritech as public WebPACs that would at least support ILL and permit patron-initiated activity. A virtual catalog looks like one system to the user. When we last looked at them, they fell short on direct patron interaction services; "look only" is not good enough. The PCL memo of agreement clearly states that we want to give patrons a single interface to the participating networks. The consultants should be able to help us assess the viability of the various vendors’ products. LION’s problem re capacity/response time is relatively critical and needs to be resolved soon.

b. The PCL Personnel Committee needs another LION representative. Sandy Ruoff agreed to find someone. Howard Einsohn expressed appreciation for all of the hard work that PCL members have done and the professionalism of the telecom consultant, who has been of great value to us.

2. FY00 Budget: Sandy Ruoff reported that the Personnel Committee recommends that effective July 1, 1999 all LION employees move up one merit step on the Salary/Wage Range Table and that the Salary/Wage Range Table for 1999-2000 be adjusted to incorporate a 1.7% cost of living increase. All of the staff evaluations were excellent. The total of the 2 items combined will be an increase of slightly more than 3%. Sandy Ruoff moved on behalf of the Personnel Committee and Valerie Harrod seconded a motion that the 2 recommendations of the Personnel Committee be adopted. All voted in favor. Another 1999-2000 Budget Summary was distributed showing the increases.

3. Release 173: Mark Hewes distributed Release 173 documentation. He recommended that LION defer or forego loading Release 173. The enhancements aren’t needed now; Release 180 will be out in June or July. If PCL or LION decides before then to use Connect’s CARL Web product, we may have to load 173.

4. reQuest Status: This edition of reQuest is a major debacle. The most recent LION data in reQuest is October 1998. Our more recent data that was sent to Auto-Graphics was not properly handled/processed. reQuest has said that the situation will be corrected online and on the CD-ROM version, but we don’t know how or when. Missing records will be added to the online version, but not the CD-ROM. The display of holdings will be corrected on both versions.

5. Technical Issues:

a. Rick and Mark reported that there are 39 PAC4Windows terminals that LION maintains; there are 3 problems that cannot be resolved currently except by LION staff on site. We need PC Anywhere software, $139 plus license fees. Next version of PAC4Windows should be out in April and could be loaded from the LION office if we have PC Anywhere.

b. IP authentication: The current LION firewall system isn’t good for IP authentication for remote access to databases. System will be down for Internet access Thursday AM to work on this.

c. Barcode labels are here.

6. Official media for LION Board Reports: It was the consensus that Internet e-mail and LION’s web page would be the official communications media for LION Board distribution. It was suggested that this be adopted for PCL communications as well.


1. LION Staff Reports

a. Executive Director: Bill distributed a report on LION’s Y2K compliance. Uptime was excellent this month.

b. Associate Director: Mark distributed his report.

c. Systems Manager: Rick had no further report.

2. Committee Reports

a. PAC Committee – Marcia Lewis reported there was no February meeting; the next one is March 10th at NWC. The PAC4Windows training module will be reviewed. Ann Davis has called a meeting of committee chairs to look at re-organization of LION committees.

b. Bibliographic Committee – No report.

c. Circulation Committee – Nancy Wardell reported that the next meeting is on Friday.

d. Personnel Committee – No further report.

e. Finance Committee – No report.

f. Planning Committee – Ed Murray will not call a meeting until we have more info from PCL Procurement about the 2 options.



1. Sandy Ruoff said that the recent meeting that the GUI staff held with Karen, our LION Cataloger was very beneficial and probably every member library would learn shortcuts, procedures, etc. that would be of great help.

2. Bill will be away on the next normal LION meeting date, March 23rd. The meeting will be changed to March 30th, 1999.

3. CT State Legislative Appropriations hearing is tonight and Sandy Ruoff urged members to attend.

X. ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 12:15 PM. The next meeting will be March 30th at 9:30 at the Russell Library. Old Lyme is in charge of refreshments.

Respectfully submitted,

Sandra R. Long


Return to top

Return to Board Minutes