Minutes of the LION Board Meeting
December 16, 2003
Hubbard Room, Russell Library
Present: Mark Hewes, LION, Joan Gillespie, LION, Gale Bradbury, LED, Mary Fiorelli, OLY, Linda Summer, OTIS, William Deakyne, ELY, Valerie Harrod, DUR, Barbara Cangiano, BRB, Pat Johnson, BIB, Leslie Scherer, WAL, Peter Ciparelli, NLN, Betty Page, STC, Jan Day, WBR, Marie Shaw, ELH, Phyllis Wigham, MAD, Lewis Daniels, WSB, Sandy Long, MAD, Nancy Wardell, GUI, Linda Rusczek, MDT, Isabel Danforth, MDT, Ann Penfield, HAD, Suzanne Risley, MTC, Sandy Ruoff, Rick Widlansky, LION, Cornell McNair, OTIS, Paul Nelson, LION.
I. Call to Order: Gale B. called the meeting to order at 9:25 am.
II. Additions to the Agenda: None.
III. Public Comment: None.
IV. Approval of the minutes: of October 28, 2003 meeting. Sandy R. moved and Marie S. seconded a motion to approve the minutes. All voted in favor.
V. Treasurer’s Report: Joan and Linda presented the reports for October and November of 2003. Reports on file.
VI. Action/Discussion Items:
1. Horizon Presentation: Liz Pitts, Dynix senior sales representative, gave a demo of the Horizon system including discussion of migration issues, and answered questions for LION Board. More presentations will be offered at a later date for BIB, CIRC and PAC committees.
2. Horizon selection process: Gale and Joan provided information on Horizon system costs and comparison to SIRSI. Discussion ensued. There are additional costs to members for peripherals and telecom; PCs are necessary along with WIN2000 XP. Thin client software currently doesn’t work with Horizon. A brief discussion of LION reserves and how they might be used for the migration purposes was touched on. CEN was mentioned in regard to free T-1 line installations for libraries by July 05. Joan planned to ask Liz to extend the contract offer until February 2004.Board approved going forward.
3. Linux thin client update: Joan presented pros and cons of Linux and MS Windows. Handout provided.
4. ILS quote from SIRSI: Joan discussed a cost summary. Handout provided.
5. LION’s relocation: Joan shared a detailed breakdown of costs, credits and savings for the move to Riverview Center. See handout.
6. Joan requested an extra paid day off for LION staff (Dec. 24) as thanks for terrific help with LION’s office move. Peter C. moved and Jan D. seconded the motion. Approved.
7. Confirm agreement to pay benefits for Executive Director for life, disability and dental. Gale B. presented the information and it was discussed at the last meeting but we inadvertently omitted the approval. Leslie moved and Bill D. seconded. Approved.
8. TIAA/CREF update by Mark: Resolutions regarding minimum distribution plans needed approval. Gale read the resolutions to the Board. Bill D. moved and Valerie seconded the motion. Approved.
9. Finance Committee presented proposed changes to LION procedures:
a. Amendment to the By-Laws to add Assistant Treasurer position.
Current wording: The Treasurer shall establish and maintain all accounts of the corporation and authorize payment of all bills within the scope of the budget, and make reports at each regular meeting of the Board of Directors and at the annual meeting of the membership. The Treasurer shall provide an annual audit as required by the Board of Directors.
Proposed wording change: The Treasurer shall establish and maintain all accounts of the corporation and authorize payment of all bills within the scope of the budget, and make reports at each regular meeting of the Board of Directors and at the annual meeting of the membership. The Treasurer shall provide an annual audit as required by the Board of Directors. An Assistant Treasurer may be appointed for the purpose of signing checks in place of the Treasurer. The Assistant Treasurer does not sit on the Executive Committee.
Bill D. made the motion to approve the amendment and Sandy Ruoff seconded. Approved.
b. Procure a cost effective payroll service for LION staff: Valerie moved and Ann P. seconded. Approved.
c. Bond signatories on LION accounts: Moved by Valerie, seconded by Leslie. Approved.
d. Remove LION staff as signatories. It was decided to leave LION staff as signatories.
10. Attendance at LION Board meetings. Gale raised the issue of whether or not attendance should be required and if so, should we send out notices to those who have not attended recently. The Board recommended that a reminder letter go out to all members.
11. Is a January Board meeting needed to discuss the Horizon system and contract? Board agreed we should meet in January.
12. Approval of new slate of LION officers: Proposed slate: Gale Bradbury, President, Peter Ciparelli, Vice President, Bridget Quinn-Carey, Secretary, Linda Rusczek, Treasurer. Appoint Art Meyers as Assistant Treasurer. Bill D. moved we accept the slate, Leslie seconded. Bill D. moved we appoint Art Meyers as Asst. Treasurer. Valerie seconded. Both motions approved.
Mark reported that the recent barcode order was being processed. Rick reported that an inventory of member hardware was in progress. Paul had no report.
2. LION Committees
Finance-See action item reported on above.
Bibliographic-Meeting was held on November 20, 2003.
Circulation-Planning an early spring meeting.
VIII. Old Business: There will be Horizon presentations for Bib, PAC and Circ committees in the spring.
IX. New Business: Valerie asked about receipt printers for printing cards.
X. Adjournment: Linda R. moved that we adjourn at 12:30 pm.
The next LION Board meeting will take place on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 in the Hubbard Room of the Russell Library.
Refreshments for the next meeting – Rathbun Free Memorial Library.