LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Russell Library, Middletown
PRESENT: Bonny Albanese, MA; Deb Barberi, MD; Matt Beardsley, LION; Gale Bradbury, LB/LG; Katie Brossard, MC; Peter Ciparelli, NL; Richard Conroy, EX; Jan Day, WD; Mary Fiorelli, OL; Andy Gardner, LION; Alan Hagyard, LION; Vince Juliano, MD; Cornell McNair, NW; Kelly Marszycki, RA; Cindy Muhlbach, HA; Bob Knapik, OR; Suzanne Risley, MC; Karen Roesler, ME; Leslie Scherer, WA; Cyndi Shirshac, DU; Marcia Sokolnicki, MA; Nancy Wardell, GU;
I. CALL TO ORDER: Cindy M. called the meeting to order at 9:40.
II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None.
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of March 24, 2009 were approved on a motion by Jan D. and a second by Peter C.
V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Reports for March and April 2009 will be filed for audit.
- FY 2010 Budget: Richard C. presented the proposed budget and explained some of the thinking that went into it, including the polling of member libraries regarding salary increases going into effect for their staff members. Alan H. informed the Board that he had negotiated a “no increase” rent agreement that covers 3 years. The FY2010 budget passed unanimously on a motion by Mary F. and a second by Peter C.
- Holds Task Force: Leslie S. reported that the Task Force’s work was complete. The holds experiment achieved almost100% participation by member libraries and increased the number of libraries with relaxed restrictions on holds. However, the local library will still make the final decision on holds. Reciprocity may become the key element in holds decisions. The Task Force noted that staff members at libraries may need training in standard procedures for finding, shipping, and returning transit hold items in order to avoid delays. Alan gained new knowledge of statistical reports and their use in analyzing what goes on within the LION system. Andy greatly reduced the numbers of “stale” holds. The project demonstrated how LION increases the availability of titles to patrons of member libraries.
Strategic Plan: Suzanne R. gave an overview of the strategic planning process used by the committee and observed that the process had started just about one year ago at the LION planning meeting held at Mitchell College. She suggested that Board members pose these questions as they reviewed each section of the draft:
- Is there a better/more accurate/clearer way to state this section?
- Are there bulleted points in these sections to be added or deleted?
- Have we included every major initiative we started with from our draft documents at the May 2008 meeting? She led the Board through the draft, one section at a time, and asked for comments. There was consensus on modifying several relatively minor items. Prior to voting on the draft, Marcia S. read a statement of concern written by Sandy L. Vince J. moved and Jan D. seconded that the Strategic Plan as amended be approved. The motion passed with only Scranton Library voting against it. Suzanne R. will send out copies of the Strategic Plan as approved. The Strategic Planning Committee will meet with LION President Kathy R. to establish task forces and committees to implement the plan.
- Next Meeting: Per Alan H.’s suggestion, the Board agreed to hold regular meetings in August, October, and December of 2009, and February, April, and June of 2010. Alan will set the August date after checking the calendar and room availability.
Alan explained the process he employs in passing along information on group discounts to LION members. When he finds a “good deal,” he asks member libraries about their level of interest. Patty will start sending invoices out by email. Libraries may request hard copy invoices if those are needed. Alan is making good progress in his work on revising and updating the LION web site.
- Andy has reduced the number of “stale holds” as part of Holds Task Force project. He has installed SSL (secure sockets layer) on the LION web site in order to assure encryption of data. He is tweaking it to resolve some issues with Internet Explorer.
- Alan explained the process he employs in passing along information on group discounts to LION members. When he finds a “good deal,” he asks member libraries about their level of interest. Patty will start sending invoices out by email. Libraries may request hard copy invoices if those are needed. Alan is making good progress in his work on revising and updating the LION web site.
- Emerging Technology—Katie B. reported that the committee held its first meeting in Wallingford on April 9. Rick W., the Wallingford staff, and staff members from several LION member libraries shared a number of technology ideas and demonstrations. Rick will post information on some of these on the blog.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None
IX. NEW BUSINESS: None
X. ADJOURNMENT at 11:47 AM.
Next Refreshments: Mitchell College Library
Vince Juliano, Secretary