LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:40 am Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Middletown, Russell Library
PRESENT: Barbara Cangiano – BR, Marie Shaw – EH, Michael Susi – EH, Lydia Main – EL, Richard Conroy – EX, Sandy Ruoff – GU, Cindy Mulbach – HA, Gale Bradbury – LB/GF, Beth Crowley – MA, Bonny Albanese – MA, Suzanne Bartels – MC, Vince Juliano – MD, Karen Roesler –ME, Rebecca Hagstrom – ME, Bob Hull –NB, Suzanne Maryeski – NL, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber – OR, Michael Gilroy – RA, Susan Donovan – ST, Leslie Scherer – WA, Janet Flewelling – WA, Todd Fabian – WD, Kathy Giotsas – WS, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION
I. CALL TO ORDER: Richard Conroy called the meeting to order at 9:51 a.m.
II. ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None
III. PUBLIC COMMENT: L. Main announced that there would be a reception for retiring director William Deakyne and all are welcome to attend.
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the April 24, 2012 meeting were accepted as written on a motion by Beth C. and a second by Lydia M.
V. TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer, Mary Fiorelli presented the cash flow statements for April 2012 and May 2012. The Reports were filed for audit.
1. Election of officers: Pres. Richard Conroy reviewed the slate of nominees for LION officers and asked if there were any nominations from the floor. None were brought forward.
MOTION: Gail B. moved and Vince J. seconded that the following slate of officers for 2012/13 be approved:
Richard Conroy – President, Todd Fabian – Vice-President, Karen Roesler – Secretary, Bob Hull – Treasurer. Approved unanimously.
2. 2013 Budget vote: The Budget for FY 2012/13 was presented at the April Board meeting. No changes have been made and there were no questions or comments. MOTION: Todd F. moved to approve the budget for FY 2012/13 as presented. Marie S. seconded. Approved unanimously.
3. Old Saybrook membership proposal: Alan has been communicating with Acton Library, Old Saybrook and they are definitely planning to join LION. Per LION Bylaws, acceptance of a new member requires a 2/3 vote of the full Board of Directors.
MOTION: Lydia M. moved and Marie S. seconded a motion to accept Acton Public Library, Old Saybrook into LION. Approved unanimously.
4. ReadersFirst: Vince Juliano summarized the Reader’s First Initiative, a movement to improve e-book access and services for public library users.
MOTION: Vince J. moved and Sandy R. seconded that LION, as an organization, join the coalition of library partners supporting the principles of the Readers First Initiative. Approved unanimously. It was noted in the discussion that individual members of LION might want to talk to their Boards and sign on as individual partners as well.
5. eBook options: Richard C. put together a summary of other e-book options. He suggested that, although no one has anything better than Overdrive at this time, LION needs to keep alternatives in mind and under discussion. The Board expressed its thanks for the great job Richard did in compiling the summary and all agreed that the issue should be brought up for discussion periodically
6. Overdrive Digital Bookmobile: Overdrive’s Digital Bookmobile will be in our area on August 29 and 30. Todd Fabian agreed to chair a committee charged with finding good locations for the vehicle each of the two days. Deb B., Meryl F. and Suzanne M. agreed to serve on the committee with Todd.
The next meeting: August 28, 2012, East Lyme Public Library.
Tentative meeting dates for FY 12/13: October 23, December 18, February 26, April 23, and June 18.
1) LION staff:
Alan reported that the newly hired full time Desktop Technician, Justin Strickland will be starting on July 2.
Andy reported that the upgrade to Sierra is now tentatively scheduled for November.
Rick reported that the CEN installing of fiber optic cable is progressing and that the fiber has been run to LION office but has not been connected yet. The project should be finished by the end of August and the replacement of equipment and upgrades of existing fiber sites will be done before we move to Sierra.
Rick reported for Matt, who was not able to attend the meeting, to say that there would be a delay in the new PC installment schedule because of the need to train the new hire.
2) LION Committees
-Nominating: Previously given
-Finance: Previously given.
-Personnel: Cindy M. reported that she met with Alan to go over his Annual review.
-Bibliographic: The committee met several times and completed the revision of all bibliographic policies and procedures. In addition, the committee discussed the upcoming changes that Sierra and RDA will bring.
-LUX: The committee met and looked at modifications that can be made to improve the Overdrive experience. Patrons will now have a choice between 7 or 14 day loan periods for audio and eBooks.
VIII. OLD BUSINESS: None
IX. NEW BUSINESS: It was suggested that the Board go back to the practice of having name cards since we have quite a few new representatives.
X. ADJOURNMENT: Richard C. adjourned the meeting at 11:13 a.m. on a motion by Lydia M. and a second by Karen R.
Next Refreshments: Haddam – Brainerd