LION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
9:30 am Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Middletown – Russell Library
PRESENT: Melissa Canham-Clyne – Bethany, Karen Jensen – BR, Trish Connolly – DU, Kathleen Sasso – EH, Lisa Timothy – EL, Richard Conroy – EX, Sandy Ruoff – GU, Cindy Muhlbach –HA, Gale Bradbury – LB/LG, Beth Crowley –MA, Bonny Albanese – MA, , Deb Barberi – MD, Karen Roesler –ME, Bob Hull – NB, Lois Baldini – NH, Frances Gibbs-Kail – NL, Cornell McNair – NW, Mary Fiorelli – OL, Meryl Farber – OR, Michele Van Epps – OS, Alice Pentz – ST, Jane Fisher – WA, Todd Fabian – WD, Kathy Giotsas – WM, Colleen Bailie – WM, Alan Hagyard – LION, Andy Gardner – LION, Justin Strickland – LION, Rick Widlansky – LION
- CALL TO ORDER: Todd F. called the meeting to order at 9:40 a.m. and asked that everyone introduce themselves since many new members were present.
- ADDITIONS TO AGENDA: None
- PUBLIC COMMENT: None
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes of the August 27, 2013 meeting were accepted as written on a motion by Richard C. and a second by Jane F.
- TREASURER'S REPORT: Treasurer Bob Hull presented the cash flow statements for August 2013 and September 2013. He noted that the Finance Committee will be meeting before the next meeting. There were no questions. On a motion by Beth C. and a second by Mary F. the reports were placed on file for audit.
- Auditors Report: Mike Solakian, CPA reported that the audit of last fiscal year’s activities show that the organization remains in good financial shape. There are no significant deficiencies. It is highly recommended that organizations have 6 to 12 months of operating funds available in case of an emergency. LION has 6 months in reserves which is excellent for a nonprofit organization. The only other significant recommendation made is to make sure there is a segregation of duties which is very important in a small organization. It is not required but best practices would suggest that we set up an “audit” committee to review the bank statements, invoices and checks written a few times during the year.
- Grants: Alan H. attended a program at the New Haven Public Library on how to get a grant. The presenter was excellent and he asked if members would be interested in having the woman present the program to LION. After a discussion on the topic, Alan agreed to look into how much a program on grant writing would cost and to bring the information back to the Board.
- Bethany/Hamden update: Bethany’s director was welcomed to the Board. LION and Innovative are working on their record load but no date has been determined for actual implementation. Hamden Library Director and Alan have been working with multiple town departments towards Hamden’s joining the consortium. Final approval is expected at their November 12 legislative body meeting. Alan also reported that Groton and Waterford libraries just signed a multi-year contract with Sirsi and therefore will not be considering LION membership for quite awhile.
Todd F. will work up a checklist of information for new members and arrange for a LION headquarters site visit. Members interested in a visit to the office and to meet LION staff should let Todd know as soon as possible.
- Next meeting: December 17, 2013
- LION staff :
- Alan reported that 447 patrons used Zinio and that there had been 2,000 checkouts over a two week period. Some glitches have been reported to Record Books. The use may be overstated because of library staff experimenting with the new product.
- Andy reported on a few changes made to Sierra. Any item still in Transit after 30 days will automatically go to “Missing in Transit” status. Any item level hold at the time of the change in status will go back to a bib level hold. Also, a title being paged will go through the paging list of owning libraries 5 times before it goes onto the Stale Holds List.
- Rick asked members to mark May 22 on their calendars which is the date for the CEN Annual Convention to be held at the CT Convention Center in Hartford. Rick highly recommends that LION members send a representative. The cost is $50.
- Matt and Justin had nothing to report this meeting.
- LION Committees:
– Nominating: None
– Finance: None
– Personnel: None
– Planning/Negotiations: Sandra R. noted that LION was incorporated in 1983 and suggested that a 30th anniversary event be planned for the spring/summer. Also a committee will work on planning a luncheon after the next Board meeting on December 17.
– Bibliographic: RDA is progressing well as staff get used to the new rules and procedures.
– Circulation: None
– LUX: Everyone appreciated the work done getting Zinio up and running
- OLD BUSINESS: None
- NEW BUSINESS: None
- ADJOURNMENT: On a Motion by Lisa T. and a second by Richard C. the meeting was adjourned at 10:43 a.m.
Next Refreshments: Case Memorial/Orange